What is Covid-19?
Human Corona viruses are common throughout the world. There are many different corona viruses identified in animals but only a small number of these can cause disease in humans.
On 7 January 2020, ‘Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Corona virus 2’ (SARS-CoV-2) was confirmed as the causative agent of ‘Coronavirus Disease 2019’ or COVID-19. The majority of the case-patients initially identified were dealers and vendors at a seafood, poultry and live wildlife market in China. Since then, the virus has spread to more than 100 countries, including South Africa.
How is it transmitted?
While the first cases probably involved exposure to an animal source, the virus now seems to be spreading from person-to-person.
The spread of the disease is thought to happen mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. Thus far, the majority of cases have occurred in people with close physical contact to cases and healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19.
How can you prevent infection?
The following can provide protection against infection from Coronaviruses and many other viruses that are more common in South Africa:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay at home when you are sick and try and keep a distance from others at home.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a flexed elbow or a tissue, then throw the tissue in the bin.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
What can I do during the Lockdown?
- Stay home
- Sanitize your hands, keys, cellphone more often when you from the shops or streets.
- Study online.
- Read blogs.
- Do not panic.
- Exercise every morning to level your health and stress.
- Drink water.
How can i get latest stats about it?
Whats App “Hi” – +27 60 012 3456
Support Hotline: 080 002 9999